Site Meter

Friday, March 31, 2006

Color of Music

Of all the art forms, music is one which leaves the most to imagination. If you are reading a poem, you pretty much end up thinking what the poet wants you to think. If you see a painting, you might interpret it slightly differently from the artist but I don't think there is too much room for imagination. Music on the other hand is a whole different ball game. Two people might be listening to the same score and yet they will conjure up completely different sets of images. This is what happened last night.

C bought a CD of a rendition of Holst's Planets. We sat in the car listening to it. She told me that the music made her think of colors. A crazy splash of colors and hues in a rapidly changing progression following the sleigh of the conductor's hand. I, on the other hand, had different thoughts. She lay in my arms, listening to the music as well as the beating of my heart. After a few minutes, she drifted into sleep. I looked around. It was a clear sky and yet there were no stars in the sky. There was not another soul around. Nature stood still for a few minutes as my heart tried to beat in unison with the staccato and self-echoing theme of Jupitor. I closed my eyes and saw C's face when I had seen her for the first time. I opened my eyes and saw her in my lap, sipping the honey-heavy dew of slumber. I doodled my name on her arm with he childish hope that that simple act would make her mine. Emotions raged inside me only to fizzle out once the theme changed. She woke up and we parted with heavy hearts. Blissful eternity.

Anyways, back to other issues. Some of the people have commented that I lack confidence and that would explain my previous fiasco with women. They have tried to tell me that turbans and beards are no issues. I can only thank Amrit for illustrating the point that I have been trying to make. He is a quintessential example of young Sikh men who try to twist religion to suit their theories. But that is fine. All of us do that to some degree. The only thing that worries me is the amount of spite laden in his words. People who have chosen to wear a turban certainly don't deserve ridicule and least of all, be labelled "cultish"

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only thing that worries me is the amount of spite laden in his words. People who have chosen to wear a turban certainly don't deserve ridicule and least of all, be labelled "cultish"

I think Amrit is only refering to people who wear turbans and don't live up to ideals of Sikh religion. He looks into social issues more than any of us can dare to look into and he is honest. Certainly he is no James bond which all of you are tyring to be!

4:23 PM, March 31, 2006  
Blogger thalassa_mikra said...

Harry, I read through most of your posts, and I must say that when you speak of your emotions, there is a certain lilt in your words that is so evocative, and so very Indian. I mean, it is almost as if you have managed to weave a Punjabi idiom into your English prose.

You mentioned Shiv Batalvi in an earlier post, and I thought of one of his poems:

"Maye ni maye mere geetan de nainan vich birhan di radak pavey"

6:20 PM, March 31, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just a question....
If you a "C" hook up and do end up doing the M word, when you have children will you raise them to have long hair or have them wear a turban?

8:46 PM, March 31, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

^
I think Harry should pay serious thought to this question (or atleast have an answer to this for himself. I am not interested to know the answer) or otherwise conclude for himself that the turban issue is done with, and the blog has lost its main theme because the protagonist has fallen in love and changed track.

I share a similar duality as Harry does on a certain aspect. All my life I used to criticize women for trimming/cutting hair, but when I started to like a certain someone I had changed my thoughts that hair wouldnt make her a good or bad person. But to stay inline with my soul, I had compromised to consider the option of exploring opportunities of her keeping unshorn hair again. Not forcing her to do that but getting her buy in.

Love is strange. It can change a lot in us.

9:43 PM, March 31, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here are my views:
Certainly it is a real problem- educated sikh girls dont seem to give a damn about me :-), I am a turbaned decently educated guy (bs/ms/phd) about your age. I think with education comes freedom, so they chose that they liked the clean shaven guys better. Symbolistic sikhs are just a piece of ancient tradition for them.
I kept my turban and beard, so probably religion matters to me more than the girls I meet. So I guess I should now go and find someone to whom sikhi matters more?
Sometimes I think its about the kind of expectations you have in life. You try hard to get what you expect, dont get it, lower your expectations (call it adjusting, to be politically correct), and move on and continue the search.
My next step is going to be to search for someone who is not that well educated and professional, but with whom I can atleast communicate.
If that is not possible, which I will figure out in another year or so, I will lower my expectations (what would that be, I wonder.... may be somebody amritdhari, maybe she'd want me to become amritdhari as well) and look again.
Eventually I hope to find someone, who meets the current expectation standards I am looking for.

Of course, my theory induces an informal caste system- the educated, good looking, non turbaned sikhs on one end, and the not so educated, turbaned sikhs and their spouses on the other. If Darwin had any brains, extinction is certain. The thought of it makes me sad. I hoped for a much more normal life.

I hope the reality is much more different than what I perceive it to be, maybe I am just in a terrible mood after yet another rejection :-), one which I had not anticipated coming....life is a matter of adjustments.

Another question that comes into my head... should I dare to bring up my kids as turbaned sikhs? Thatz for later

A Very sad,hairy and anonymous singh from turbanland.

11:57 PM, March 31, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude that amrit thing is such a hindu...look at the website it always has at the end of each post. first it gave the impression it was a man then it claimed it was a female...not looking at the writing cave...seems like it is a hindu...an insecure on..well hindu and insecurity are synonmous...and if its a sikh girl..well she must be one ugly broad cuz no punjabis sikhs wanted her ass.

11:07 PM, April 07, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home